Having reached all three Cotswold League finals Dormer House were willing to host a complete set of matches at the Fire Service College, Moreton in Marsh. The first two games proved to be very close, but ended in disappointment for the home side. Strangely, both finals resulted in 4-3 score lines.

A Team Final

Holders Dormer House had already been beaten 2-1 by Ilmington and finished well down their qualifying group, yet they finished the season in fine form and sneaked past St Catharines to earn a place in the final.

It took eleven minutes for either team to create a solid goal chance, in a period dominated by defences until Jensen Armstrong passed across for Joe Lewis to convert a simple deflection for Ilmington. The minute after a score is always dangerous and so it proved when Dormer House's Finlay Holland-Bird stopped an Ilmington free hit and was allowed too much room. He took the ball from deep in defence to the edge of the goal area and shot home. Defence once again took hold and the first period continued without a score.

The second period carried on in a similar vein until the eighth minute when Zac Tremellen's run and pass was tucked home by Jack Homans. It was his first goal of the season and could not have been at a better time. Soon after Armstrong robbed a defender and increased the Ilmington lead to 3-1. It took just a few seconds for Holland-Bird to pull one back and return the momentum to the holders. Even when Ilmington attacked they were inevitably stopped by a defence in which Holland-Bird and Milo Moore were outstanding. This gave time for the former to mount another attack, his pass to Ethan Cooper leading to the equaliser.

Moving into the last three minutes the clock was stopped at every blast of the whistle. Eventually it was an unlucky bounce off a defender which crept into goal off Armstrong's wide shot which decided the title. Two and a half minutes remained and Dormer attacked desperately. This left an opening which allowed Ilmington a clear shot, but it pinged off the post. Holland-Bird shot wide in the final seconds for what proved to be their final chance.

The match was very well controlled by Chloe Whitworth and Jodie Bandeira in their uniform sponsored by Chloe's father Simon Whitworth and his plumbing business. David Rushby was the referee observer and was able to pass on good feedback after the match.

Winning team: Gabino Hernadez-Hall, Sonny Groves, Zac Tremellen, Freddie Hall,Megan Rowan, Jensen Armstrong, Joe Lewis, Louis Adcock, Rhys Devereux, Tilly Kinchin, Jack Homans. Also, Will Morris played in all the qualifying matches.

Girls Final

This was always going to be a close game, the teams fighting out a pair of 1-1 draws in their previous matches. Temple Guiting did have a better scoring record throughout the league programme and found the larger playing area very much to their liking. Millie von Wedel, Millie Swait and Lettice Tilley-Loughrey combined up front to set up a lot of scoring chances. Von Wedel's early pass to Tilley-Loughrey put them 1-0 up. Dormer House had their own opportunities, hitting the post before von Wedel latched onto Swait's pass to make it 2-0. Dormer goalkeeper Sophie Campbell was forced into a string of saves and kept her team in the game. A rare attack resulted in a free hit close to the Temple Guiting goal area which was sent straight into goal by Maisie Smith to pull one back. Unfortunately a late lapse allowed Tilley-Loughrey's shot through a crowd of players to creep past Campbell for a 3-1 half time lead.

The second half stagnated for a while before Tilley-Loughrey received a pass from defence, passed to von Wedel who shot home. With a 4-1 lead and thirteen minutes to go Temple Guiting appeared to be unassailable. Von Wedel picked up every rebound as the shots kept coming in, but Campbell kept them at bay. Meanwhile, at the back Izzy Weatherley in particular kept Dormer House away from the Temple Guiting goalkeeper.

The comeback finally started with just two minutes left. Georgia Wasdell robbed an opponent and shot home for 4-2. A minute late she converted Smith's pass to make it 4-3. Temple Guiting were tiring at last. Dormer House kept on attacking, finishing off with a close in free hit which rattled around amongst the defenders, flirted with the goal line, before gently rolling wide. Temple Guiting had earned their first Girls' League title.

Winning team: Millie von Wedel, Millie Swait, Lettice Tilley-Loughrey, Daisy O'Brien, Izzy Weatherley, Laura Mills, Mary Maude.

On Wednesday, 25th April 2018 at Fire Service College, Dormer House play St James & Ebrington in the 'B' Team Final, which will be the final match of the season. Invitations to play in the 2018-2019 Season, the twenty third played at CCS.


School Calendar

October 2021
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
jsanderson thin
sixth from thin
studyhere thin
term dates