The Chipping Campden History Society and the CCS History Department would like to invite you to enter the Jill Wilson Local History Prize.
The aim of this prize is to encourage Advanced Level students to engage in local history and is awarded in the name of Miss Jill Wilson, a dedicated member of the Chipping Campden History Society (CCHS) and passionate local historian.
This is a brilliant opportunity to research an aspect of local history and develop an evidence based research essay.
This prize is open to all students taking their final A Levels in 2020.
Participation in this competition shows a passion for History and is invaluable independent research experience. These are attributes that employers and universities hold in high esteem.
The winning essay will be published on the CCHS website and the author will be awarded a £100 prize as well as the Jill Wilson Local History Prize at the Senior Awards Evening in December 2019.
· Any topic from any period of History, but local to the North Cotswolds. (This could be based on one village or the wider area).
· A question to guide the enquiry is required.
· Any historical evidence used must be cited (referenced).
· A bibliography is required.
· 1000-1500 words maximum.
· Essays will be short listed by the CCS History Department.
· Final selection will be made by CCHS.
Essays will be judged on:
· Meeting the Essay Criteria.
· Originality of enquiry.
· Logical and coherent expression of ideas communicated with clarity and precision.
Chipping Campden School History Department will run two sessions in the Summer Term to provide support to students:
1. How to cite resources.
2. How to write a Bibliography.
The Chipping Campden History Society will run a session on how to use Archives. Information will be passed on to those who express an interest.
The winner will be announced by Friday 25th October (at the latest) and the prize will be awarded at the Senior Awards Evening in December 2019.
(Photos Courtesy of the Chipping Campden Historical Society)